City of Falls City
1705 Stone Street • P.O. Box 574 • Falls City, NE 68355
Founded in 1857, three years after the opening of the Nebraska Territory, “Falls City” was the Nebraska base on the “Lane Trail” through which free-state emigrants could be funneled into Kansas. At that time, Kansas Territory was in the throes of a bloody struggle between the pro-slave and anti-slave settlers. James Lane, a free-soil leader, was greatly impressed by the beauty of the Nemaha Valley at this point and noted the rich soil drained by the Nemaha. He also took note of the industrial possibilities which the falls of the river seemed to offer. Lane’s expectations for “a city by the falls” has undergone more than a century of change, yet with a strong, sustained growth peaked at 6,200 residents in 1950, with a 1990 population of 4,843.
The new $21 million dollar medical facility opened its doors in the fall of 2009. The 68,000 sq. ft. facility includes 24 single-occupancy patient rooms, a state-of-the-art surgery suite, private specialty clinics, two delivery rooms with maternity suites and the Family Medicine Clinic. Learn More.